In a star-studded ceremony broadcast live from her home port of Southampton to a ‘virtual’ audience, the majestic ship was styled christened by her godmother Dame Irene Hays, of Hays Travel, who smashed a bottle specially produced from Blur legend Alex James’s. Britpop cider against the ship’s hull to bring her future luck.
P&O Cruises President Paul Ludlow said: “This is a historic day for P&O Cruises and for the travel industry as a whole. We are on the cusp of a brilliant new start and Iona’s arrival at Southampton is very visible proof of this long-awaited future.
“Our guests look forward to getting back to sea and the summer season of Iona’s British coastal cruises, including her maiden voyage on August 7, to her namesake island of Iona, has seen overwhelming demand.”
As thousands eagerly watched the link live from their homes due to Covid restrictions, DJ and TV presenter Jo Whiley put on the sparkling ceremony, before Barlow, music director of the 710 Club, entertained himself with a set of wellness dock.
With over 30 places to eat and drink and glamorous accommodations, including elegant veranda suites, the 185,000 ton Iona is Britain’s largest and most environmentally friendly cruise ship, powered by liquefied natural gas. .
One of the main attractions of the ship, spanning two decks with a glass roof and a swimming pool with a retractable stage, is the unique SkyDome all-weather entertainment venue, where guests can relax poolside on day before succumbing to the evening pizazz, including upbeat DJs.
Boasting the world’s first offshore gin distillery, created in association with Salcombe Gin, Iona will see a bespoke spirit distilled, bottled and labeled on board, with the first production taking place in the ship’s bespoke gin still, Columba .
A 345-meter-long darling with a capacity of 5,200 guests and 1,200 crew members, Iona will be a sight to see on her maiden voyage on August 7 to her eponymous Scottish island.
To book your cruise on Iona or one of the P&O Cruises fleets, visit www.pocruises.com or call 03 453 555 111.
– Total motor power: 61.7 MW
– Ship speed: 17kn
– Iona is the largest vessel to fly the British flag
– Built at Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany
– The largest ship built to serve the UK market, with a capacity of 5,200 passengers
– Over 30 places to eat and drink
– Four swimming pools, one of which has an infinity edge and 18 whirlpool spas (six infinity spas and 12 whirlpool spas)
– The first gin distillery at sea in partnership with Salcombe Gin
– Gary Barlow is Music Director of the 710 Club
– Powered by liquefied natural gas – no sulfur / nitrogen emissions and a 20% reduction in carbon
– 95 veranda mini-suites
– 22 single cabins
More about this article: Read More
This notice was published: 2021-05-16 21:52:18