England threw in for a front-line attack last week, but they added Bess to their squad as cover for slow left arm Jack Leach before the decisive series game against New Zealand.
Bess posted magnificent figures of 35-15-51-4 as Yorkshire enjoyed a thrilling victory over Sussex in the County Championship at Headingley, while England won the first round at Lord’s.
Bess, who took 12 wickets in the series win in Sri Lanka earlier in the year before battling for consistency in India, should be able to train with England starting tomorrow after 48 hours of managed isolation.
“Jack is absolutely fine,” England coach Chris Silverwood said. “The reason we have added Dom is that whatever coverage we need has to be right here with us.
“If Jack were to show up, we’d need a backup for him, in terms of concussion replacements and things like that. If we watch a roulette wheel and Jack gets injured before we go in, then we’ll need someone else there. ”
Ollie Robinson has received no guarantees about his future in England from Silverwood after the seam bowler was indefinitely suspended from international cricket pending the outcome of a disciplinary investigation.
Robinson, 27, apologized for the racist and sexist tweets he posted in 2012 and 2013, when he was in his teens, that were dug up and shared online the day he took his test bow at Lord’s.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson agreed with Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden’s assessment that Robinson’s suspension was “exaggerated.”
The former Yorkshire bowler has been suspended pending a disciplinary investigation by the Cricket Board of England and Wales, prompting a shocking reprimand from Secretary of State Dowden, who got into the matter on Monday for the morning.
While Dowden acknowledged that Robinson’s tweets were “offensive and erroneous,” he added that “they are also a decade old and were written by a teenager.”
Dowden said: “The teenager is now a man and he has rightly apologized.
“The ECB has gone too far in suspending it and should think again.”
A spokesman for the prime minister later said: “As Oliver Dowden pointed out, these were comments made more than a decade ago, written by someone as a teenager, and for which they have rightly apologized.”
While Robinson said he was “embarrassed” and “embarrassed” by his earlier tweets, he has been pulled from the second and final test against New Zealand at Edgbaston, which begins Thursday. And he has not been given any guarantees about his future in England after the investigation is complete.
“The investigation will take place and decisions will be made after that,” Silverwood said.
“Let’s first see what comes out of that. There will be an investigation and we will see after that.
“What should have been one of the best days of Ollie’s career didn’t end well for him.”
The ECB is investigating claims that a second England player posted “historical offensive material”.
Wisden.com has discovered a tweet, posting its content, but concealed the identity of the cricketer because he was under 16 at the time.
Support The Yorkshire Post and subscribe today. Your subscription will help us continue to bring quality news to the people of Yorkshire. In return, you will see fewer ads on the site, get free access to our app, and receive exclusive members-only offers. Click HERE To subscribe.
More about this article: Read More
This notice was published: 2021-06-07 21:28:56