Britain’s largest police force said it will crack down on illegal raves over the summer after a man was stabbed to death at an unlicensed music event in south London over a weekend of disorder.
Senior officers at metropolitan police raised concerns that such events could trigger more problems in the warmer months of the year.
COVID updates live from UK and around the world
Metropolitan Police Commander Ade Adelekan said officers would aim to stop so-called unlicensed music events before they take place.
Mr Adelekan said: “We will have a preemptive response regarding unlicensed music events.
“We will be looking to make sure we thwart those where they are likely to occur, as they are no longer just anti-social and, in fact, present a real safeguard problem and a real threat around the mess.”
His comments come after a weekend of violence and disorder that saw the death on Saturday of Jason Nyarko, 26, who was stabbed during a rave in South Bermondsey, south-east London, and crowds of up to 2,000 people Sunday at an illegal event on the South Downs in Steyning, West Sussex.
Detectives investigating Mr. Nyarko’s death have since charged a 16-year-old boy with his murder. He was due in court on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, Sussex Police have warned potential revelers they will face “the full force of the law” in the wake of Sunday’s rave, where 90 people were arrested.
Last year the violence increased London as the lockdown was lifted, fueled by the gang feuds unfolding on social media.
The Met Public Order Command is also preparing for the potential lifting of COVID-19[female[feminine restrictions on 19 …
More information about this article Read More
This notice was published: 2021-06-30 13:53:00