The government has ignored calls from six former Tory secretaries for work and pensions and will continue to phase out the £ 20 per week increase in universal credit, MPs said.
This weekend, former Tory leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith – who oversaw the creation of Universal Credit (UC) – and five of his successors as secretary for work and pensions used a joint letter to urge the chancellor Rishi Sunak to make the uprising permanent.
The extra money for benefit claimants was part of the government’s emergency financial support program when the COVID crisis began last year and was extended by six months to budget in March.
But despite the campaign by former Tory ministers, current Work and Pensions Secretary Therese Coffey told MPs on Wednesday that the uprising would end when the six-month extension ends in October.
“Before October we will start communicating with the current applicants who are receiving the £ 20 to let them know that this will be phased out and they will start to see an adjustment in their payments,” she told the work of the House of Commons and pensions committee.
“I think a lot of it really starts in October, but it will start I think around the end of September for some people.
“So the current proposal is that we recognize that this was introduced in accordance with the temporary measures to support people during the COVID pandemic.
“It is being phased out in accordance with all the other temporary measures which are also being phased out. “
Asked by Tory MP and committee member Nigel Mills whether she lobbied the treasury to extend the increase, Ms Coffey said: “A collective decision has been made within government to ensure that the The £ 20 increase was extended for the six months and that …
More information about this article Read More
This notice was published: 2021-07-07 10:22:00