Salford Red Devils 24 Wakefield Trinity 14 – Wakefield failed to build on a brilliant start at Salford Yorkshire News

On the record: Wakefield center Reece Lyne, up, scored one of his attempts in the loss at Salford last night.  Image by Alex Whitehead /
On the record: Wakefield center Reece Lyne, up, scored one of his attempts in the loss at Salford last night. Image by Alex Whitehead /

The New Zealander, who recently returned from a two-month suspension from the club due to social media posts earlier in the season, led a spirited comeback at Salford after losing 12-0 in 16 minutes.

Richard Marshall’s men finished the game strong with two attempts in the final 15 minutes by Inu and Ken Sio and the victory saw them jump Wakefield to ninth place.

Register to our daily newsletter

The newsletter i cut the noise

Tui Lolohea and Seb Ikahihifo made their respective injury returns for the Red Devils, although Declan Patton was unavailable due to coronavirus tracking.

On Target: Trinity’s Mason Lino added two goals and a penalty for Trinity. Image by Alex Whitehead /

Salford beat Challenge Cup finalist Castleford 70-18, severely handicapped in his last outing for their third win of the season, but they were 12-0 down in 16 minutes.

In a game played at Halliwell Jones Stadium in Warrington due to AJ Bell Stadium in Salford being unavailable due to ground maintenance, it was Wakefield who immediately looked at home.

Wakefield’s Lee Kershaw intercepted a long pass from Salford’s rival Lolohea and the winger launched into a maze of 70 meters. Although he was brought down before scoring, Wakefield kept the momentum going and the ball was worked to the left for Innes Senior to score. Mason Lino added the conversion.

Wakefield doubled his lead in the 16th minute. Lino and Liam Kay combined to send Reece Lyne in for an attempt that Lino converted again.

The introduction of former Wakefield striker Pauli Pauli encouraged Salford and they attacked midway through the first half.

Midfielders Atkin and Lolhea combined on the right edge and Morgan Escare was able to score a try that Inu converted. The comeback was completed seven minutes before halftime when Inu took a close lead and was able to add the extras to level the game. A flurry of errors from both sides early in the second half saw the scoring opportunities in a prize and it was not surprising that Lino chose to kick on goal when he was presented with a penalty opportunity in front of Salford’s posts after 57 minutes.

A two-point lead was never going to be enough and it was Salford who scored next, Inu grabbing a second who also converted with 15 minutes to go.

A penalty from Inu opened up a six-point lead for the Red Devils and the victory was sealed when Sio appeared on the right edge to score the deciding try of the game with just nine minutes to go.

Although Inu was off target, Salford was able to get to full time with no further scares and claim back-to-back victories for the first time this season.

Salford: Escare, Sio, Inu, Costello, Williams, Lolohea, Atkin, Johnson, Ackers, Ormondroyd, Livett, Lannon, Burke. Subsidiaries: Roberts, Ikahihifo, Pauli, Luckley.

Wakefield: Kay, Kershaw, Lyne, Greensmith, Senior, Miller, Lino, Arona, B. Walker, Tanginoa, Ashurst, Pitts, Batchelor. Subs: Fifita, Battye, Y. Aydin, Bowes.

Referee: Gareth Hewer (RFL)

More about this article: Read More
This notice was published: 2021-07-16 22:19:18

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *