Samuel Fox and Company, known as Fox’s, was a company operating a major steel complex built in the Upper Don Valley at Stocksbridge.
Samuel Fox was a British industrialist and businessman known for developing the Paragon umbrella frame. In 1851 he and his company Fox Umbrella Frames Ltd developed the Paragon frame, a U-section of string steel which was far superior to its competitors.
Product development continued until at least 1935. A similar product was used to make Crinoline frames from 1855. Umbrellas with Fox Frames were sold worldwide.
The business continued to grow and began producing different products and by the mid 1860s the works included furnaces and rolling mills.
In 1862 Fox’s began producing crucible steel and the company installed two five-ton Bessemer converters, followed in 1863 by a rail and billet rolling mill, and a bar rolling mill in 1864.
The Fox Valley Mall stands on what used to be part of the steelworks. The future of the remaining Liberty Specialty Steels is currently in the balance as there are fears it could be liquidated.
More about this article: Read More
This notice was published: 2022-03-03 13:59:19