Wigan Warriors 19 Hull FC 18: Harry Smith’s late goal denies Hull Yorkshire News

Photo by Alex Whitehead/ – 03/31/2022 – Rugby League – Betfred Super League: Round 7 – Wigan Warriors vs Hull FC – DW Stadium, Wigan, England – Hull FCâ€TMs Chris Satae scores a try.

Exciting full-back Jai Field again showed his class, but Wigan needed a Harry Smith drop-goal with two minutes remaining to secure a 19-18 win over Hull.

Field scored the first and last down of a thrilling matchup at DW Stadium, taking his tally to nine in seven Super League games so far this year to lift the Warriors to the top of the table for at least 24 hours.

Register to our daily newsletter

the bulletin i cuts the noise

Hull scored two tries in seven minutes just before halftime to take the lead and was also in front when impressive midfielder Joe Lovodua created a try for Chris Satae as they pushed the Warriors all the way.

Photo by Alex Whitehead/ – 03/31/2022 – Rugby League – Betfred Super League: Round 7 – Wigan Warriors vs Hull FC – DW Stadium, Wigan, England – Hull FCâ€TMs Jake Connor kicks at Wiganâ€TMs Oliver Partington while catching the ball.

The home team started impressively and took the lead after three minutes when Field stepped down the line and blasted his way in for the first down of the game.

Zak Hardaker couldn’t add the conversion, but he did it with a penalty in the 15th minute after Hull was stopped for a steal in front of the posts.

The Warriors’ brilliant opening probably justified a bigger lead, but Hull’s defense held firm and they gradually worked their way into contention.

Prop Ligi Sao and returning Luke Gale had their chances when Wigan ignored the warning signs and conceded two tries in the final seven minutes of the half.

Quick hands from Jake Connor and Josh Griffin took out winger Adam Swift in the corner and Lovodua supported a break by center Mitieli Vulikijapani, who was substituting for the injured Carlos Tuimavave, to take out hooker Danny Houghton.

Gale added both conversions to make it 12-6 at the break, but Wigan equalized seven minutes into the second half through substitute full-back Ethan Havard, with Hardaker adding both.

Hull regained the lead shortly before the hour, Lovodua was again the architect with a beautiful half-break and a good volley to get past Satae.

Captain Gale’s third goal restored his team’s six-point lead, but Field’s second attempt, enhanced by Hardaker, leveled the score before Smith hit the decisive 3-pointer.

“It was a tough competition,” coach Brett Hodgson said. “We are disappointed because we were in a position to win that match.

“I am incredibly proud of the effort after a short change. We only had the captain’s run to prepare for that match. It was a lot about getting up mentally and I thought we did it.

“We had more than enough chances to close it out when 18-12 up, but we probably weren’t clinical enough to close it out.

“But I’m not too bummed out because we were good enough to win.

“A classy player in the opposition hurt us twice, which was the difference.

“We talk about stopping it, but it’s harder to do that than to talk about it.”

Wigan: Field, Hardaker, Bateman, Bibby, Marshall, Cust, Smith, Singleton, Powell, Byrne, Isa, Farrell, Smithies. Substitutes: French, Magician, Partington, Havard.

Hull FC: Connor, Swift, Vulikijapani, Griffin, McIntosh, Lovodua, Gale, Sao, Houghton, Satae, Savelio, Ma’u, Lane. Substitutes: Brown, Fash, Johnstone, Wynne.

Referee: Robert Hicks (RFL)

More about this article: Read More
This notice was published: 2022-03-31 22:01:13

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *