Sussex firefighters issue warning over energy bill saving trick Brighton News

FIRE FIGHTERS are urging the public not to compromise on safety when trying to save money on energy bills.

Last week the West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service witnessed several incidents caused by candles being used as a source of heat and light.

“Many are switching off their lights and central heating and using alternative methods to save money,” said a West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson.

“However, lighting candles can pose significant fire safety risks and have devastating consequences if misused.

“When using candles, always keep open flame away from flammable materials, use a suitable holder to hold candles upright, and ensure they are placed on a heat-resistant surface.”

Nicki Peddle, prevention manager at the West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, said there are a number of fire safety practices you can adopt that will likely help lower your energy bills too.

These include:

• Do not leave electrical devices on standby.

• Unplug cells when charged and when not in use.

• Ensure that all open fires are fitted with screens.

• Have your chimneys swept regularly.

“If you’re thinking about saving money, don’t compromise your safety by doing so,” he said.

“As a service, we urge the public to be careful when using candles, wood burners and open fires to reduce the risk of harm.

“Smoke alarms are always the best line of defense for fire protection and they are absolutely essential if you are using cheap electricity during off-peak hours.

“We understand this is a difficult time for many and we encourage people to keep themselves safe by always following our safety advice.”

More information on candle fire safety can be found on the West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service website.

More about this article: Read More
This notice was published: 2022-04-13 11:58:22

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *