UK News

Sarah Everard “died from neck compression”, says autopsy | United Kingdom | New UK News

The 33-year-old was missing as she returned home in Clapham, south London, on March 3. His body was found a week later in a forest near Ashford, Kent. A major police investigation was opened and the body of the marketing manager was discovered inside a large builder’s bag.

Metropolitan Police Protection Officer Wayne Couzens, 48, has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of Miss Everard and is awaiting trial at the Old Bailey.

A previous autopsy aimed at establishing the cause of death on March 17 had been “inconclusive”, Scotland Yard said. Miss Everard’s body was then returned to her family so that they could proceed with her funeral.

Yesterday, the results of the second autopsy held at William Harvey Hospital in Ashford were confirmed.

Her family have been made aware of the cause of death and are being supported by specialist officers, Met police said. Miss Everard, from York, disappeared on her way home to Brixton after visiting her friend in south London.

Human remains were discovered a week later at a former golf and leisure complex about 90 kilometers away in Kent. Dental records confirmed that the body was Miss Everard. Couzens has served with the Met since 2018 and was attached to an armed unit tasked with guarding London’s parliamentary domain and embassies.

The officer, married with two children, was arrested at his home in Kent on March 9.

The murder sparked mass protests against women’s safety and activists called for severe penalties for violence against women.

The Daily Express supported the Our Streets Now campaign and the appeal of the charity Plan UK to make public sexual harassment a specific criminal offense.

In the aftermath of Ms Everard’s death, Downing Street said it would improve security measures.

More about this article: Read More
This notice was published: 2021-06-02 09:19:58

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *