Castleford Tigers 23 Wakefield Trinity 18: Adam Watene Trophy remains in the jungle after derby thriller Yorkshire News

The Tigers celebrate Oliver Holmes’ try against Wakefield. Image by Allan McKenzie /

The hosts appeared to have the game in the bag when they led 23-6 shortly after halftime, but Trinity refused to budge and two converted attempts in the fourth quarter set up a tense finish – the final horn sounded after Wakefield had forced. a abandonment with a kick on the last play that Castleford managed to eliminate.

It was the Tigers’ first home win in seven games since fans were allowed to return to the stadiums in May and they narrowly wished for the win, though Wakefield deserved great credit for an energetic display.

Register to our daily newsletter

The newsletter i cut the noise

The hosts relentlessly attacked Trinity’s right side in the opening exchanges and took the lead after eight minutes in spectacular fashion via Greg Eden’s shot from Niall Evalds’ pass.

Tinirau Arona scores for Trinity. Image by Allan McKenzie /

Danny Richardson converted from the touchline and then just four minutes later added another goal after providing a beautiful short pass to send Oliver Holmes crashing just to the left of the posts.

Trinity responded quickly, after two penalties near the Tigers line, when Brad Walker kicked and Tinirau Arona landed. Mason Lino’s conversion made it 12-6 after a scorching 16-minute start.

Castleford then scored eight minutes later when the visitors were caught offside and Richardson took both.

Moments later, he was sitting for 10 minutes after being sent off for sin, along with Lino, following a set-to between rival number seven.

Wakefield took the penalty and nearly scored in the resulting set when Kelepi Tanginoa pushed his way over the line, but was stopped by Jesse Sene-Lefao.

That was a crucial intervention as Castleford, after being under great pressure, counterattacked to score a well-worked try, Derrell Olpherts went against his hometown club with a precise pass from Evalds.

Gareth O’Brien couldn’t add the extras, but Richardson deftly extended the Tigers’ lead to three touchdowns at halftime with a drop goal in the closing seconds of the half.

He became a provider seven minutes after the restart with a looping pass that created a second, unsuccessful attempt for Eden to extend the hosts’ lead to 23-6.

Tom Johnstone retired a try in the hour with a brilliant finish, catching Jacob Miller’s kick and accelerating through defense to give Lino a simple conversion.

A knock-on from Evalds after Richardson split the defense kept Wakefield in the same and they set up a shot in the stands as Eden tapped Lino’s kick to Kershaw behind Castleford’s line.

Lino hit the conversion from outside to close the gap to five points with as many minutes remaining, but the visitors could not find a winner despite desperate late pressure.

The Tigers’ victory was the third in a row and keeps their hopes alive of sneaking into the Betfred Super League play-offs.

More about this article: Read More
This notice was published: 2021-08-21 20:01:41

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *