UK News

VIDEO: Fleeing motorist puts lives at risk by ramming into police vehicles at a Sheffield petrol station UK News

Sheffield Crown Court heard on April 27 how Gulshazad Anwar, 36, of Greenland Close, Darnall, Sheffield, was stuck at a petrol station on St Mary’s Road, near the Sheffield United ground, when he backed up in a motorist’s vehicle, rammed into the back of a police car and slammed into the front of another police car before fleeing.

Judge Jeremy Richardson QC told Anwar: “On October 17, 2020, you committed eight crimes relating to a single incident arising from appalling and dangerous driving in the forecourt of a busy petrol station in Sheffield.

“During this episode, you deliberately rammed two police vehicles, you also caused damage to a member of the public’s vehicle and you additionally injured police officers as well as the driver of the private vehicle.

Register to our daily newsletter

Pictured is Gulshazad Anwar, 36, of Greenland Close, Darnall, Sheffield, who was sentenced by Sheffield Crown Court to two years in prison after pleading guilty to dangerous driving, assault causing harm actual bodily harm, three counts of criminal damage and three counts of assault against a rescue worker after ramming three vehicles at a gas station to evade capture.

“You committed these crimes to evade capture and arrest. In fact, you managed to fight your way out of the gas station to successfully escape.”

Previously convicted Anwar was arrested and pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, assault causing actual bodily harm to the civilian motorist, three counts of assaulting a rescue worker and three counts of having caused criminal damage to vehicles.

The court heard that one officer suffered back and neck injuries, another still had shoulder problems and the civilian motorist suffered from a knee injury and PTSD.

Emma Handley, prosecuting, previously said the civilian motorist’s newly purchased vehicle suffered £3,970.70 in damage and the police vehicles suffered £781.94 and £1,815.60 in damage.

Ms Handley added that South Yorkshire Police said Anwar put lives at risk and disabled two police vehicles, with the cost of the repairs borne by the taxpayer.

Judge Richardson told Anwar: “Many members of the public and police have had their lives endangered by your conduct.

At an earlier hearing, defending Ian West said Anwar who has favorable credentials from his imam and a local councilor panicked and did everything to escape.

The court heard that the defendant had problems with his marriage and has since suffered leg injuries after being shot in Pakistan.

Judge Richardson pointed out that Anwar had previously failed to stop for police and that he was spotted by officers the next day and followed to the gas station where he used his car as a “weapon “.

He told Anwar, “This all happened in a public place. Indeed, a busy gas station where members of the public could have been seriously injured.

Judge Richardson said that the court has seen an increase in this type of crime, so it must be said that such an offense will be punished severely.

He added: “Anyone who drives an automobile and deliberately rams a police car – particularly to evade capture and arrest – should expect and will receive a sufficiently severe punishment.”

Judge Richardson sentenced Anwar to two years in custody and he was banned from driving and must serve a four-year disqualification from his scheduled release date.

Read more

Read more

The South Yorkshire fugitive, 84, who harassed three Labor MPs has finally been jailed…

More about this article: Read More
This notice was published: 2022-04-28 17:08:04

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *