UK News

Two teenagers appear in court for the murder of Nathaniel Wardle, 43, of Wallsend UK News

Two teenagers appeared in court for the murder of a man in Wallsend. Northumbria Police were called shortly before 2.30pm on Monday June 20, after reports that a man had been injured in St Hilda’s Avenue, Holy Cross.

Emergency services attended and found Nathaniel Wardle, 43, who had sustained serious injuries consistent with those caused by a bladed item and he was sadly pronounced dead at the scene. Two youths, who cannot be named for legal reasons, made their first appearance at Newcastle Magistrates’ Court on Saturday morning (June 25).

They are both charged with murder and possession of an offensive weapon although no pleas have been entered. Speaking only to confirm their names and addresses, the boys, both 17, were told their case was to be heard in the Crown Court.

Read more: Investigation launched after massive fire engulfs Houghton-le-Spring Hotel

Bench chairman Steven Johnson said that due to the “nature and seriousness” of the alleged offence, the boys should be remanded in custody. Both have been remanded in custody until their next appearance at Newcastle Crown Court on Tuesday June 28.

Another man, Mohammed Rabani, 18, of Weldon Crescent, Heaton, has been charged with murder and possession of a bladed item in connection with the incident. He appeared at Newcastle Crown Court on Friday and is due to appear at Newcastle Crown Court next in November.

The police cordon at St Hilda's Avenue, Holy Cross.
The police cordon at St Hilda’s Avenue, Holy Cross.

Detective Inspector Louise Jenkins, of Northumbria Police, said: “This is an extremely difficult time for Nathaniel’s family and loved ones and we ask that their privacy continues to be respected.

“We know these types of incidents can cause concern within the local community. I want to reassure everyone that we believe there is no wider threat to the public and that officers remain in the area to continue their investigations.

“I would also like to thank those who provided information and for the patience of the public during our investigation.

“Three men are now due to appear in court for this incident and I would like to remind the public to refrain from speculation – both on social media and in the wider community – that could jeopardize the legal proceedings.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact the police via the ‘Tell us something’ page on our website or by calling 101 quoting log NP-20220622-0535.

Read next:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *