UK News

Fire in Wembley tower block flat with no working smoke alarm UK News

Five fire engines and around 35 firefighters were called to a 21-storey building in Fulton Road, Wembley, at 6.05pm on Sunday (January 14).

Part of a first floor flat in the building was destroyed.

The blaze was under control by 8.34pm.

Investigators from the London Fire Brigade (LFB) found the property did not have working smoke alarms and the fire was most likely caused by smoking products not being disposed of safely. 

A spokesperson said: “This incident shows just how vital it is to have working smoke alarms.  

“It’s also a timely reminder for smokers to ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”

The fire brigade has offered smoking safety tips:

  • It is safer to smoke outside, but make sure cigarettes are put right out and disposed of properly.
  • Never smoke in bed, and avoid smoking on arm chairs and sofas – especially if you think you might fall asleep.
  • They suggested taking extra care when tired, taking prescription drugs or if you’ve been drinking alcohol.
  • Invest in proper ashtrays, which can’t tip over and stub cigarettes out properly.

Fire crews from Wembley, Park Royal and Stanmore fire stations were sent to the scene.

More about this article: Read More
This notice was published: 2024-01-15 11:45:48

By Times Series

Times Series, The News from the London borough of Barnet, and Borehamwood & Elstree.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *