IIf you can’t get hold of raspberry vinegar, simply add four or five raspberries to 50ml of red wine vinegar and let steep in a cup for a few hours before you need it.
Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 50 minutes
Four as a starter or as a light lunch
- 4 beets, each bigger than a golf ball but smaller than a tennis ball, as cool and hard as it gets
- 50 ml raspberry vinegar
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Garden flowers like chives or basil flower and thyme flower
- Vegetables such as raw peas (teardrop-shaped peas) or peeled small beans
- Herbs like chives, thyme, verbena, purple basil
- Place the unpeeled beets in a saucepan, cover them with salted water and simmer for about 40 to 50 minutes. If you need them, place a sauce on them to keep them under water. To test that they are done, a small, sharp knife should easily penetrate the roots. If they are not ready, continue testing every five minutes until they are complete.
- Drain the beet and cover it with cold water. The beet will be cold enough to handle after a few minutes in cold water.
- To prepare the carpaccio, I cover my cutting board with parchment paper and wear disposable gloves, as the color of the beetroot spreads everywhere.
- Drain the beet and rub the skins – they should come off very easily. Take a mandolin and use the finest setting to slice each beet into thin rounds, or do it carefully with a sharp knife.
- After slicing each root, spread the slices out onto four plates. I like to make concentric circles until the whole plate is covered.
- When you have four plates of sliced beets ready, it’s time to dress them up. I sprinkle them evenly with the raspberry vinegar and then the olive oil. Season each plate with sea salt.
- The plate is now your canvas to decorate, with all the flowers, vegetables and herbs you have on hand. I use teardrop peas (very peas), which come from my garden and can be eaten raw. You can also use peeled broad beans.
- Serve the carpaccio as a light lunch with warm crusty bread and a glass of chilled Beaujolais.
More about this article: Read More
This notice was published: 2020-07-09 09:34:54