More than 35 million people, including high school students, will be offered a free flu shot this winter under plans announced by the government.
The largest influenza program in the country’s history will launch in September, the government said, and will build on the success of last year’s expanded program which saw record numbers achieve their stroke.
And for the first time, those eligible will include all high school students through grade 11 – those aged 15 and 16.
The target for 2021 is almost double the number of jabs that were administered last winter.
The flu shot will be available for:
- All children aged two and three as of August 31, 2021
- All children in primary and all children in school Grades 7 to 11 of secondary
- People aged six months to less than 50 years in clinical risk groups
- Pregnant women
- People aged 50 and over
- Unpaid caregivers
- Close contact with immunocompromised people
- Front-line health and social care staff for adults
Children two and three years old, elementary school students and high school students through grade 11 will be offered the vaccine by nasal spray.
The government is preparing to deliver the flu vaccine to those that are applicable alongside any COVID-19 booster vaccines in order, the health and social affairs ministry said, acknowledging that “there may be higher levels of the flu this winter.”
The Joint Committee on Immunization and Immunization (JVCI) will publish its final opinion on who to prioritize for a possible third booster vaccine from September “later this summer,” the department added.
In announcing the winter plan, new health secretary Sajid Javid urged everyone eligible for a flu shot to come forward.
More information about this article Read More
This notice was published: 2021-07-16 17:20:00