Business leaders in London have urged Sadiq Khan and the government to agree to an extension of TfL’s emergency funding deal.
With the current deal set to expire tomorrow (May 18), the London First business campaign group said it was “essential” for city hall and central government to agree to an extension of the deal in a new report on the future of transport in the capital.
An agreement reached last October was extended to the end of March, with additional government funding of £ 260million to ensure the continuity of TfL services through May.
As London businesses take the next lockdown step this week, London First said keeping the transport network running is “essential to the city’s social and economic recovery”.
In addition to calling for an extension of the emergency funding agreement, the London First report also called on city hall and central government to work together to develop a long-term ‘sustainable and fair’ funding model that reduces TfL’s excessive dependence on tariff revenues. .
Adam Tyndall, Transport Program Director at London First, said: “London doesn’t work without public transport – and without a thriving capital, the UK will not rebound strongly from the pandemic.
“TfL’s traditional funding model, with its overreliance on fares compared to other cities around the world, was already under pressure before the pandemic and the changes in our way of life and work and their impact on the transport system were can be skipped – from flexible working to using e-bikes and e-scooters.
“While there are many types of public transport riders, all expect reliability and flexibility, which will be essential in bringing people back to the capital to support the recovery. This is why TfL needs a long-term financing agreement that takes into account the changing needs of passengers. ”
The London First report also highlighted the need to “reassure and re-engage passengers” about the safety of London’s public transport network after a year of advice to avoid it if possible.
Last week, a poll conducted by YouGov for the Evening Standard found that more than half of Londoners were uncomfortable using the Tube due to fears over Covid-19.
The London First report identified ‘reluctant returns’ as one of many ‘types of passengers’ likely to emerge after the pandemic, with lingering concerns over Covid-19 likely to see continued reductions in TfL fare revenue.
Since the first step in easing the lockdown in April, TfL has increased its messages about improved cleaning regimes being used on the transmission grid.
Regular tests conducted by Imperial College London had also found no trace of coronavirus on the transport network since its launch in September.
More about this article: Read More
This notice was published: 2021-05-17 11:59:12